Friday, November 15, 2013

Reliv / MLM Doesn't Belong in Church

Christians REALLY need to get their focus off of money and back to where it really belongs. WHY would a Christian radio station or church members focus so much on selling Reliv or any other MLM? The bottom line is, they aren't reading their Bibles enough. The Bible is clear, "The love of money is the root of all evil". MLM's promise easy money and people / Christians get so focused on making a quick dollar that they forget about the gospel message. Reliv and MLM's are just another trap of the devil to get us side-tracked!

Thank you to one of our readers for sending this in and I'm glad we helped!

"I have always stayed away from Reliv, mainly because of their ads on the Christian radio station in town that does one commercial after another of products that they themselves "highly endorse." Fortunately we have some commercial free Christian alternatives here so that I don't very often have to hear any of that...but that was my first exposure to Reliv. There was also a big distributor in our former church who just didn't want to take no for answer. One evening she called me with her upline wanting to tell me all about the product and the opportunity... I couldn't believe she was so pushy, and politely but firmly as possible I let them know I wasn't interested. Another family friend is also in the business and is wanting us to try one of the products for my husband has been in the hospital now for weeks with a bad viral infection. She also has an upline she wants me to talk to. I found your site just out of curiosity because my gut, once again, recoils at this tactic...I'm sure she is well meaning and I know she believes in the products but I just don't like the company, and now I have more to go on when it comes to the products. Thanks for posting this information."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I just posted a comment on another post regarding two friends I have that are seriously pressuring me to get into selling Reliv and Mary Kay. What I didn't mention is both friends are Christian friends I met at our church. I agree, these MLM schemes need to stay away from churches and it's the devil doing what he does.

I do have a slightly different perception with regard to why they're doing it in the first place. This is only speaking of my friends. I think they've been taken advantage of and truly believe in the product and that the money is going to help them support their families, spend more time with them and they want to share the opportunity with loved ones. Both friends do not have a background in sales and it shows. Most seasoned and successful sales reps know that high pressure sales and aka "used car salesmen" type sales doesn't work well or long-term. I truly believe my friends are brainwashed. They are truly and sincerely good hearted, well intentioned, and spend a great deal of time serving others in various ministries. One friend wants more time with her family. She actually left a corporate job (partly being unhappy), choosing Mary Kay as the next step because she was told she can work as much or as little as she wants and she can set her own schedule. She has young kids at home, so this appealed to her.

Ultimately, they and others who fall for becoming a "business owner" are the ones who suffer. Sadly, it was loved ones whom they trusted that got them into Reliv and Mary Kay in the first place, and they are now sharing it with their loved ones, totally clueless of the lack of success rates at the demise of their social health and community.

I don't doubt that some fellow believers get awestruck over the thought of dollar signs and easy money. I'm only stating the experience I'm seeing with my two ladies. I'm going to have a conversation with both regarding my doubts and why I won't get involved. Even though they likely won't hear it (again, they get brainwashed, which includes rebuttals to the scheme), my conscience won't let me just say no and walk away. I can see where it's headed, and I love these ladies, so I choose to say something. At least later on if/when it falls through for them, perhaps they'll know I was being sincere and cared enough to say something. I will give the Reliv gal this website and my MK gal the pink truth website. Thanks again for having this site and letting me vent!